The Fault In Our Stars: Do’s And Don’ts Of ‘Star Of The Show’ Gigs
A couple of weeks ago, we aired a Just The Tip episode highlighting the problems with ‘star of the show’ performances. We received a great response and feedback about it from our listeners. So we are using this opportunity to dive deeper into the topic.
In corporate shows, it is quite common for the performer to be requested to make the firm’s leaders look amazing. The same is true for children’s entertainers. At birthday gigs, the birthday boy or girl is expected to be made the ‘star of the show’.
In this episode, Aidan and Ashley discuss the nuances behind their unpopular opinion about these types of shows. They share stories of their ‘star of the show’ gigs and how it has resulted in a shift in their performance approach.
Do you have any questions about today’s content?
Discussed In This Episode:
- [00:30] Why Do ‘Star Of The Show’ Performances Usually Suck
- [04:20] Thinking Deeply And Making These Shows Sensible
- [07:50] How To Handle Specific Requests From Clients
- [11:50] Avoiding Mainstream Tricks And Cliche Plots
- [14:00] Importance Of Understanding The Core Purpose Of Events
- [16:00] Shift In Aidan’s Approach For Wedding Performances
- [20:50] Shift In Ashley’s Approach For Wedding Performances
- [23:00] Setting Expectations With Corporate Clients
- [27:50] You Have To Believe In Your Shows Wholeheartedly
- [34:05] Weaving Magic Subtly Into Your Event’s Agenda
- [39:30] Performing ‘Dual Reality’ Effects In ‘Star Of The Show’ Gigs
Did you enjoy this podcast? If so, we’d love to know!
Head over to your favourite podcast player and spend just 13 seconds and leave us a rating/review!
We want to get this information and these episodes into the hands of more magicians and entertainers across the globe so your help and support would mean the world to us.
Don’t forget to FOLLOW THE SHOW so you never miss any future episodes that we share!
We’re also on Social Media (@TheSuccessfulMentalist) so you can share the show, tag us or use the hashtag #thesuccessfulmentalist